The New Jersey State Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs & Youth Clubs was founded in Trenton, New Jersey on October 29, 1915 at St. Paul A.M.E. Zion Church. The late Dr. Florence Randolph was the forerunner of a conference of colored women representing thirty societies of the Women’s Temperance Union of New Jersey. The various presidents of different societies spoke on the “Necessity of the Organizing”.
After due consideration, “An organization was effected to be known as the New Jersey State Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs”. Dr. Randolph was elected the first president of the Federation.
In 1918 the New Jersey State Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs joined the National Association of Colored Women’s Clubs and the Northeastern Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1922.
NJSFCWC Founders (1915)
- †Reverend Dr. Florence Randolph
- †Reverend Rebecca Lassiter
- †Mrs. Gertrude Cannon Morris
- †Mrs. Mamie Cisco
- †Mrs. Elizabeth Thomas
- NJSFCWC was instrumental in having Governor Alfred E. Driscoll declare March 5th Crispus Attucks Day. A legal holiday in the State of New Jersey
- In 1947 NJSFCWC presented to the State of New Jersey Constitutional Convention a resolution for additions to section 5 and section 17 of the state constitution under “Rights and Privileges”. (NJ State Library: State Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs (1947) )
- The efforts of the members of the New Jersey State Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs, Inc. & Youth Clubs resulted in the official statewide recognition of Black History Month during the month of February by Governor Brendan T. Byrne.
- In 1986, Governor Thomas Kean designated the NJSFCWC headquarters as one of the four sites in New Jersey to establish an Urban Women’s Center Program to provide job training and other services for certain dependent, unemployed or underemployed women.
- Scholarships are awarded annually by the NJSFCWC Education Department and Music Department
Our State Headquarters
The building at 40 Fowler Street, Trenton, New Jersey, known as Carver Center, was built in 1927 as the Sunlight Lodge of the Independent Benevolent Protective Order of the Elks. It was used as a hiring hall and neighborhood center during the Great Depression. The building became Carver YMCA in 1943, named to honor the memory of George Washington Carver, the famous scientist, inventor, and humanitarian.
In 1976 history was made when the New Jersey State Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs, Inc. & Youth Clubs became the sole owner of the Carver YMCA located at 40 Fowler Street, Trenton, New Jersey, the city where the New Jersey Sate Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs, Inc. had our beginning. In 1977, the Carver Center was designated as a historical landmark in the state of New Jersey.